Sunday, July 22, 2012

Dark Shadows (2012)


My wife decided she wanted us to go see "Dark Shadows" at the Academy Theater. The Academy is an old second run theater that's near our house. I like it because the prices are cheap and they have pizza and good beer.

So anyway, I've purposely been avoiding reading anything about this movie, so I could just go at it with an open mind, even though I have to confess that I haven't been much of a fan of Tim Burton over the past few years.

So what can I say about this one?

It was a fun movie. The characters were quirky. It had that sort of typical gothic Tim Burton style with the Danny Elfman soundtrack. It was set in the 1970's with lots of 70's music. As far as the story, and the plot, it wasn't really all that engaging. It just seemed to rely heavily on a great cast, and great special effects, some witty dialogue, and a few very entertaining scenes, but there was nothing about it that really drew me in. I kept thinking that maybe it was because I've never seen the T.V. series, and a lot of the humor was going over my head.

Anyway, my wife seemed to like it, and she seemed a little concerned that I didn't, so when she asked me what I thought. The best thing I could come up with was that it was "fun" and "silly."

I think Tim Burton is a very talented director, but I can't help but think, after seeing his last few films, that he's a bit misguided. I think it would be really refreshing to see him break out of this mold that he's sort of casted himself into, and surprise us by making a movie that's different for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment